Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A Bluetooth Device As Parental Support

Once you have children, your life seems to skip from one set of worries to another. You begin by reading all the baby books and worrying about whether it's safer to lay an infant down on its stomach or its back. Once they hit the crawling stage, you start covering all the outlets and keeping your floor cleaner than ever before. Next you worry about streets and strangers, keeping your toddler within sight and teaching him or her not to dash in front of cars or wander away from you at the store.
Then they start school, and your worries change. You worry about their teachers, about bullies, about learning and receiving acceptance. You discover, to your dismay, that you can't control all their influences or guarantee smooth sailing. However, if you've been strong and consistent through their early years, you start to lighten up as you watch them make good decisions on their own.
And then they become teenagers. Whooee! You no longer have the luxury of keeping them in sight all the time, much less of knowing that they will follow all your rules once out of your sight. Just when you thought you could relax a little, they start driving! Possibly the only saving grace is the advantage that technology gives us. Having spent a few frightening hours during my own teenage years, stranded with a flat tire or an empty tank, I'm awfully grateful for cell phones. They give parents more options for reaching their children, and teens fewer excuses for being out of touch. I've tried to be a good example, too, making sure I use a handsfree car kit myself, since I expect them not to be distracted by dialing or holding a phone while they're supposed to be paying attention to the road. In fact, as each of my sons has arrived at that magical 16th birthday, I've given him his own Bluetooth device with strict instructions to use it at all times in the car. Again, I can't be certain that they follow my rules once out of sight, but I can at least take away their excuses.
Now if only the state legislature will outlaw texting while driving, I can relax a little bit more. It always helps to support my position when traffic cops potentially are out there watching, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment